"Our design delivered the brief, meeting the curriculum requirements, as well as encompassing the facilities and the enriched spaces currently located within the existing building. In addition, we also worked with the contractor to ensure that the new programme and budget constraints were met within the changing environment and funding available." - Scott Blair, Senior Designer, Concertus
The Brief: The project comprises of the design and construction of a new 10 classroom block to accommodate the expansion of the Jo Richardson Community School (JRCS). Our brief was to provide a strong, but distinctive design to the existing JRCS building located to the front of the site.
The Scope: The design provides in brief the following accommodation over two storeys: 10 classrooms, a staff suite comprising staffroom with kitchen facilities, an office for the head of department, server and resource group rooms and toilets for staff and pupils. There are also associated circulation spaces and a lift with two staircases and an entrance lobby with atrium.
We were employed to provide the lead consultancy service for the project. During pre-contract activity, the client had produced a feasibility and brief which was suggested to be complete and ready for technical design. We reviewed the client brief and established alternative approaches and design concept.
We provided further engagement with all the stakeholders to fully analyse the pre-contract documentation and deliver an alternative scheme which maintained the project visions, aspirations, programme, functions and budgets, along with a full technical design being completed ready for construction to commence in late 2014.
The Result(s): Our design delivered the brief, meeting the curriculum requirements, as well as encompassing the facilities and the enriched spaces currently located within the existing building. In addition, we also worked with the contractor to ensure that the new programme and budget constraints were met within the changing environment and funding available.
Completed on time and to budget, the JRCS new build completed the additional facilities to ensure the schools capacity was meet by September 2015. These included -
- A functional yet appealing frontage to the school building with fully glazed atrium and welcoming entrance facilities
- Innovative use of space and circulation resulting in airy atmospheres and school work and group areas including the spacious classrooms designs typically noted to be of larger sizes then more traditional classrooms
- Facilities designed to support and meet the sustainable requirements of both local and London Policy resulting in developments requiring to achieve 20% better savings through use and energy and carbon emissions
- Designed to meet the needs of ‘secure by design’ status
- The finished building is naturally light and uses mixed modes of natural and mechanical ventilation systems with links to the building management system to provide efficient and comfortable spaces.