St Edmunds Road, Stowmarket
“Concertus responded to an urgent development need for some of our most vulnerable customers in Suffolk. The team’s work ethic, commitment and quality of work exceeded all expectations” – Shirley Mutumburi, Adult & Community Services, Suffolk County Council
We were asked to create a facility which would provide independent living for people leaving long-term care environments. The accommodation would be created through the conversion of the existing care home. The building needed to hold three 1-bedroom self-contained flats, a separate area for staff and the retention of the 2-bedroom annexe.
The remodelling hoped to achieve a central, open-plan space of the same high standard as the individual living accommodation.
Works comprised of remodelling and refurbishment to provide three flats for adult occupants upon leaving care. These flats would aid in developing independent living skills with staff support available 24/7. These works included:
- Development of design drawings for internal remodelling and refurbishment works.
- Preparation of a schedule of works and preliminaries for JCT Intermediate Works Contract.
- Arrange for surveys, interpret information and incorporate the design information.
- Issue tender documents to nominated contractor, receiving and analysing submitted tender, reporting costs to the client and awarding the contract.
- Preparation of contract documentation.
- Statutory applications: planning, building control and property naming.
- Management of the project through the construction stage to completion, including site visits, progress meetings, client meetings and handover meetings.
In order to follow the tight programme and allow for design amendments, we maintained a close working relationship between all stakeholders, the client and Boot Construction. Through this close liaison we were able to develop the client’s vision with them as the project evolved. We were able to adapt to changes quickly and ensure that the project programme was not compromised.
The accommodation was completed within the client’s tight deadline which ensured that the time sensitive funding was secured.